Yes, it’s true. April showers do bring May flowers! Springtime is a beautiful time of year except for one thing – pollen! If you suffer from seasonal allergies, you know the tree budding and flower blooming are rapidly followed by sneezing, wheezing, and itching.
Keep your immune system healthy with this refreshing mocktail recipe! It’s loaded with vibrant citrus flavors and plenty of vitamin C to help your body battle allergens and win!
Get Acquainted With These Immune-Building Ingredients!
- Blood Oranges: First cultivated in Italy, blood oranges are packed with nutrients, most notably the super-antioxidant vitamin C. In addition to building immunity, vitamin C fights inflammation, improves iron absorption, and helps regulate cholesterol. Blood oranges also contain fiber, potassium, vitamin A, and manganese. During allergy season, vitamin C can help your body manage histamine production.
- Lemons: Like other citrus fruits, lemons are a great source of vitamin C. They are credited with helping prevent kidney stones due to their high level of citric acid. Lemons are also high in soluble fiber, which can improve gut health and may reduce blood sugar levels.
- Honey: In addition to its delicious flavor, honey contains beneficial enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. Studies have shown that raw honey also contains prebiotics, supporting gut health and immunity.
- Rosemary: This fragrant herb, popular in Mediterranean cooking, has several medicinal and therapeutic uses. Rosemary is a good source of iron, calcium, and vitamin B-6. Studies show that rosemary contains both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help boost immunity and blood circulation.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Lily’s organic aloe juice is clinically proven to help increase nutrient absorption, maintain healthy digestion, and promote a high-performing immune system.
- 1 cup of lemonade
- 1 cup of blood orange juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 4 tbsp. aloe vera juice
- Sprig of rosemary
- Orange or lemon slices for garnish (optional)
Preparing Your Mocktail
Creating this mocktail is extremely easy! All you need is a cocktail shaker (or a mason jar with a lid), ice, and medium-sized glasses.
Plus, for a truly authentic experience, you can also choose to make your own lemonade from scratch. This will help control the sugar content when compared to store-bought brands.
Handmade Lemonade Directions:
- Slice 4 to 6 large lemons in half.
- Squeeze the lemons into a large measuring cup using a juicer or squeezer.
- Strain any seeds or pulp from the 1 ½ cups of lemon juice.
- Pour 1 cup sugar into the lemon juice and stir.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice mixture to 2 quarts of cold water.
The prep time for this drink is approximately 10 minutes, making about two servings. If you have guests and need to make more, just double the recipe! Prepare your glasses with ice and place them in the freezer. Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature to ensure the honey dissolves.
- Squeeze the juice and add to the shaker or mason jar if you use fresh blood oranges.
Note: If fresh blood oranges are not available, look for a bottled option in the refrigerated section of your grocery or health food store.
- Add the lemonade. You can use homemade or your favorite “not from concentrate” brand.
- Add the aloe juice
- Add the honey
- Secure the lid and shake vigorously
- Pour into chilled glasses. Add the rosemary and garnish with an orange or lemon slice.
- Enjoy immediately!
How Do I Find Lily of The Desert Products?
Mocktails are a fun way to enjoy the benefits of aloe! With so many recipe options, make sure you have plenty of our juice on hand! You can find Lily products in most major grocers and health food stores. Use our store locator to find a retailer in your area or shop online at Amazon, Vitacost, and Swanson’s Vitamins.
Don’t forget to ping us on Facebook or Instagram after trying the new recipe! And while you’re there, you can check out our health tips and the latest product news. See you online!