Whether we realize it or not, one of our most precious commodities is sleep. Our bodies and brains need adequate rest to recover, recharge, and renew. Healthy sleep habits energize your body and help your immune system work more efficiently.
Sometimes it’s not a question of enough sleep (typically defined as 7-9 hours for adults) but an issue of sleep quality. Having an irregular sleeping schedule, sleeping in a room that’s too warm or cold, exercising too close to bedtime, and failing to unplug from technology can negatively impact your sleep experience. Without the proper rest, you can feel irritable, unable to focus, forgetful, sluggish, and depressed. And prolonged sleep deprivation may result in serious health problems like high blood pressure and diabetes.
Another issue that can compromise your sleep quality is occasional indigestion. How often have you had issues falling asleep or even being awoken because of stomach upset? Drinking too much caffeine or alcohol, stress, eating spicy foods, or having a meal less than three hours before heading to bed can trigger indigestion and create havoc on your digestive system.
Changing Your Routine
Indigestion, also known as “upset stomach,” can include feelings of fullness, cramping, burning, and bloating, making it extremely difficult to sleep. There are several lifestyle adjustments you can make to help you reduce indigestion symptoms and sleep better. These include:
- Sleep with your upper body elevated
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes
- Don’t eat large meals
- Avoid trigger foods (e.g., spicy, fried, etc.)
- Eat slowly
- Wait at least two hours after eating before strenuous exercise
- Don’t lie down immediately after eating
- Lose weight
- Quit smoking
Maintain Healthy Digestion With Lily
A supplement that targets the digestive system can provide significant support and symptom relief. Consistent use can calm and fortify the digestive tract, making indigestion occurrences less frequent. Lily’s Stomach Formula promotes healthy digestion with a blend of organic aloe vera and several digestion-focused herbs, including:
- Slippery Elm Bark – Also known as Red Elm, Slippery Elm Bark creates a natural protective coating that can help soothe your stomach and intestinal linings.
- Peppermint Leaf – This powerful herb soothes the stomach and can help guard against inflammation. Peppermint’s natural aroma activates the salivary glands, resulting in the production of digestive enzymes.
- Chamomile Leaf – A common natural treatment for insomnia, Chamomile also has anti-inflammatory properties and is helpful in reducing muscle spasms common with digestion.
- Ginger Root – A popular culinary herb, Ginger Root has several digestive benefits, including promoting intestinal motility (the rate food moves through the digestive cycle) and helping with nausea, bloating, and gas.
- Blessed Thistle Herb – A member of the Asteraceae family of flowering plants, Blessed Thistle supports digestion with its natural diuretic and detoxifying properties.
- Fennel Seed – Both the bulb and the seeds of this savory plant are known for their licorice-like flavor. Fennel aids the digestive process by helping against inflammation and gas-causing bacteria.
To help control indigestion and jumpstart the digestive process, take two ounces alone or mixed with your favorite juice before bedtime and as part of your morning routine. Our Stomach Formula provides safe and gentle benefits, making it suitable for daily use.
Ready To Shop For Lily Of The Desert Products?
Your friends at Lily are proud to provide you and your family with a variety of products that support your healthy lifestyle. You can find them at most major grocers and health food stores. Use our handy store locator to find a retailer in your area, or enjoy the convenience of shopping online at Amazon, Vitacost, and Swanson’s Vitamins.
We want to connect with you on Facebook and Instagram! Feel free to submit your questions and comments and check out our wellness tips and product news while you’re there. See you online!